Vape explosions can happen anywhere and can cause severe, debilitating injuries that result in long-term damage. Read about a Phoenix man’s harrowing experience when a vape device exploded while he was driving.
Jason Stine of Phoenix, Arizona, was driving in his car on the freeway when his vape device exploded in his pants pocket. His jeans were burned, and a coin melted into the fabric. “It was like when you light off a flare,” Stine said. “It was just instantaneous, zero to a thousand.”
After pulling over to the side of the roadway, Stine tried to pat out the flames. “I scooped up the ice cream in my hands and used the ice cream to put the fire out,” he said. Stine said his key fob, seat, steering wheel, and part of the steering column were all charred. “It burned everything. My seat. My vehicle. It was a hot fire.”
Stine’s case highlights the explosion dangers associated with vape devices and batteries. These incidents can result in life-changing injuries, and may require lawsuits to fully resolve the issues and cover the related costs. If you or a loved one were injured by a vape explosion, contact Levin Simes at (415) 426-3000. We have a long-standing history of protecting consumer rights against large manufacturing companies.
Stine sustained severe injuries from the vape explosion. The entire back of his legs required skin grafts from the fire, and his skin was “hamburgered up.” He was hospitalized for more than a week, and underwent an extreme amount of excruciating pain.
Jason says he has no idea what caused his device to explode — he reports that it was fairly new, and he was using it normally and properly. He went on to say, “I never thought that that day when I was leaving that something like this was going to happen. It never even crossed my mind. I want people to know this happens.”
Besides burns such as those sustained by Jason Stine, vape explosions can cause other injuries depending on how and where they explode. For instance, a vape exploding can result in:
In addition, vape explosions can result in the battery and/or device flying across the room at tremendous speeds. This can cause projectile injuries and can further spread fires throughout the home or property.
Thus, not only do vape explosions actually happen (most people think they never do) — they can happen in a wide range of ways and can cause different types of injuries.
Sadly, injuries like those sustained by Mr. Stine are typical for vape explosion stories. As one can expect from having a device explode in one’s lap or pocket, the resulting injuries can be severe and may include severe burning, scarring, and disfigurement.
They can also result in complete lifestyle changes, for instance if a person has lost a finger or hand, or if they have lost the sense of taste, smell, sight, or hearing. Extreme emotional trauma may also result in cases where a person experiences severe disfigurement of the face.
All of these translate into physical, emotional, and financial hardships for the explosion victim as they readjust their life after the incident. These may require legal action to fully compensate the person for their losses. Compensation from a verdict or settlement may cover:
A qualified vape explosion attorney can assist in filing a complaint on time in order to maximize the damages recovered.
Vape device and battery explosions are more common than most people think. They can happen in any place, as was the case with Stine. According to one study, there were 2,035 emergency room visits in a two-year period.
On the other hand, if a product is defective, explosions can still happen regardless of the precautions taken. In such cases, legal action may be needed to cover the damages and hold the proper parties accountable.
Jason Stine’s injury case is a tragic reminder of the dangers linked with vape products. Part of the tragedy also lies in the fact that not many people know of these risks, and not all explosion incidents are reported.
Besides monetary damages, a vape explosion lawsuit can help to raise public awareness of the dangers of vape products. It also helps to hold manufacturing companies accountable for enforcing better safety standards.
If you or a loved one were injured by a vape explosion or fire incident, contact the lawyers at Levin Simes at (415) 426-3000. We have proven success in holding manufacturers liable for injuries to consumers, including an $830 million verdict for an AMS mesh case, and a $200million award (the largest mesothelioma jury verdict in California history).