Angela’s practice focuses on product liability, pharmaceutical litigation, and mass torts. She has been at the forefront of exploding battery/e-cigarette cases, co-leading the firm’s exploding e-cigarette practice and securing hundreds of thousands in settlements for her clients. She is also involved in addiction and physical injury cases against Juul. In addition to her work at the trial level, Angela has practiced in the Court of Appeals in both California and Texas. Before joining Levin Simes Abrams, Angela practiced criminal defense in Boston at both the trial and appellate levels. She second-chaired murder and other serious felony trials, and successfully secured post-conviction DNA testing for one of her clients. Her background allows for a pragmatic, passionate, and well-rounded approach to each case that crosses her desk.
During law school, Angela served as the Continuity Editor for the Journal of Health and Biomedical Law. She also served as a research fellow for Professor Brenda Bond, studying the development, implementation, and evaluation of public safety policies and practices. She also served as a research assistant for Professor Sarah Boonin, analyzing developments in state and federal law regarding women’s health.
Angela is a Bay Area native who grew up in Sonoma County. When not in the office, she enjoys traveling, reading, hiking, live music, cooking and baking, and exploring everything the Bay Area has to offer. She volunteers her time with Saint Vincent de Paul Society and the American Red Cross. She also does pro bono work with the Family Violence Appellate Project, a nonprofit dedicated to helping domestic violence survivors.
- Exploding Vape Battery
- Talcum Powder
- Product Liability
- Medical Devices
Areas of Focus
Laurel Simes has been protecting the rights of working men and women, their families and businesses for over 15 years.
1700 Montgomery Street, Suite 250
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (888) 426-4156 | (415) 426-3000
Email: [email protected]
- Suffolk University Law School, Doctor of Jurisprudence 2015
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts, 2009
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice:
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- Queen’s Bench Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Nehmens, Hite; E-Cigs, The Non-Certifiable Class and the Disappearing Defendant, Plaintiff Magazine (Feb, 2019) link.
- Constitutional Law – Wisconsin Supreme Court Interprets Competency Standard to Refuse Medical Treatment in Mentally Ill Patients – Outagamie County v. Melanie L., 10 J. Health & Biomed. L. 297 (2014)
- Bond, B. J., Nehmens, A., Compstat: A Police Performance Management Tool. In Wesley Jennings, PhD (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment. Wiley (2015)
- Perrin Conferences’ National Asbestos Litigation Conference, October 2018
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, E-Cigarettes: An Emerging Litigation and National Epidemic; October 2018, March 2019
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Ski and CLE; Vapes of Wrath: The Rise of E-Cigarettes; March 2019
In The News:
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram: ‘A bullet in your pocket’: Lawyers target battery makers in exploding e-cigarette cases. Link.