Man Killed By Exploding Vape Mod in Florida
Death from Battery Explosion
A 38 year old man from St. Petersburg, Florida was killed when a vape mod device exploded in his face. The official cause of death was a projectile wound to the head.
This is the first death in the U.S. directly attributed to the force of a vape battery explosion. Exploding vape batteries have caused a number of fatalities, but those deaths were attributed to the fires caused by the battery explosions, rather than the flying shrapnel itself.
E-Cig Vape Mod Design
E-cig pen and mode vape devices are known to explode when the lithium-ion batteries inside the device fail. Failures occur because of a failure to design a safe power draw from the batteries, devices that fail to stop drawing power when batteries are low, draw too long and overheat the battery. Batteries can also be shorted electrically inside the device or in a pocket, and can be overcharged by chargers that do not know when the battery has reached capacity. E-cigarette batteries, including the popular 18650 design, are frequently designed without any safety mechanism including temperature sensors.
Vape Explosion Lawyer
Contact the lawyers at Levin Simes if you have any questions regarding e-cig products. Our attorneys specialize in representing clients injured by electronic pen or mod devices including vape battery explosions. Reach us at 1-888-426-4156, firstname.lastname@example.org, or through this website form or chat.
E-Cig Resources and Links
- E-Cig Explosions
- 18650 Battery Fire
- News Reports of Vape Burn Injuries
- CNN: Man dies in e-cig explosion